Under the Constitution, the State is headed by a State Governor or Yang di-Pertua Negeri, who is appointed by the Yang Di-Pertuan Agong (Malaysia’s head-of-state). The official residence of the Governor is the Astana, located on the north bank of the Sarawak River, in Kuching.
- Tun Datuk Abang Haji Openg Bin Abang Sapiee (1963-1969)
- Tun Datuk Patinggi Tuanku Haji Bujang Bin Tuanku Osman (1969-1977)
- Tun Datuk Patinggi Abang Haji Muhammad Salahuddin (1977-1981)
- Tun Datuk Patinggi Haji Abdul Rahman Ya'kub (1981-1985)
- Tun Datuk Patinggi Haji Ahmad Zaidi Adruce Muhammed Noor (1985-2001)
- Tun Datuk Patinggi Abang Haji Muhammad Salahuddin (2001-present)